- Estate & Trusts
- Business Law
- Real Estate
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Law
David truly enjoys the relationship he has with his valued clients. David has had the privilege of representing countless clients with a variety of legal matters over the last 10+ years. He is uniquely skilled to competently advise clients with complex transactional matters but also represent the same clients in arguments before the court.
His diverse experience includes handling hundreds of real estate transactions, forming many business entities, assisting clients with the purchase and sale of businesses (M&A), drafting hundreds of estate plans, guiding fiduciaries through about a hundred probates and trust administrations, defending hundreds of clients charged with crimes from violent felonies to speeding tickets, arguing pre-trial and post-trial motions, conducting contested hearings, and trying civil and criminal cases to both judges and juries.
Born and raised in Southern Minnesota, David W. Jacobsen is a proud graduate of Kenyon-Wanamingo High School, the University of Minnesota, and William Mitchell College of Law. While attending law school, he worked as a law clerk for a small private tribal law firm and worked as a student certified attorney for the Minneapolis City Attorney’s Office. After law school, David returned to his hometown of Kenyon and founded his own law practice. After a few years as a solo, David joined up with attorneys Mike Hero and Steve Jorstad to opened Hero, Jorstad, & Jacobsen Law Firm, P.A. The firm was renamed Jacobsen Law Firm, P.A. in 2020.
David and his wife Mariah are active members of the Northfield community serving on a number of boards for non-profit organizations. They have three (3) children – Rory (6), and twins Reese (4) and Quinn (4). Outside of the office, David coaches youth baseball and basketball and is an avid fan of Minnesota Golden Gophers football. Ski-u-mah! Row the Boat! Go Gophers! He enjoys spending time with his wife and kids, golfing, camping, fishing, and traveling.
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 2009
- Honors: Dean’s List, CALI Award
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- B.A. - 2006
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Sociology—Law, Crime, Deviance
- Minnesota, 2009
- Prairie Island Indian Community Tribal Court, 2009
- Board Member/Officer– Northfield Montessori, Northfield
- Board Member/Officer – Northfield Sertoma, Northfield
- Board Member – Northfield Enterprise Center, Northfield
- Non-active Member – Osman Shriners, Saint Paul
- Non-active Member – Kenyon Area Business Association, Kenyon
- Non-active Member/Past Officer – A.F.&A.M., Lodge No. 34, Cannon Falls
- Committee Member – Challenges to the Practice of Law Task Force, MSBA, Minneapolis
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- First District Bar Association
- Rice County Bar Association
Current Employment Position